Yesterday, we parked The Girl Next Door in her spot for this winter. She’ll be “stored” this winter just because we still need to get rid of an apartment full of things and we’re not quite ready to be full time yet.
Her winter spot is between a large shed and a smaller shed at Jeremy’s parents’ place. There, she will be shielded from the wind and some sun, as well as out of the eyes of the neighbors. She’ll be close enough for us to work on making her our own, while far enough away that we (probably) won’t try to sleep in her during the cold of winter.
Anyway, back to moving her. It took us 8 tries to get her out of the spot next to the house (not ideal) and situated just right before Jeremy and his dad thought it was perfect. In one of the attempts, we caught a tree branch. Jeremy got a bit impatient and kept backing, hoping upon hope not to do any permanent damage. Unfortunately, that happened. Now, there’s a pretty fist sized dent in the right rear panel. Thank God for aluminum siding; it should be an easy fix.
This little slip of land that was finally settled on is fairly level, although pointed just a little down hill. It’s also grass. To prevent any sinking into the grass, we put some wooden boards under the leveling jacks to help them stay above the mud. In the front, we put 2 boards; in the back one. As the jacks came down, my father-in-law climbed off to see what a certain noise was. All of the sudden, the whole rig crashed forward!
With the tires back fully on the ground, Jeremy sat stunned, holding the brakes. I hurtled myself outside, expecting to see a splattered man under our new home. Thankfully, he hadn’t climbed underneath. THANK GOD! Although, he did say that he had been thinking about it. I’m glad his conscience got the better of that inkling.
After we gathered ourselves, turned the key off, and took a few breaths, we found out what happened. The first sound that my Father-in-Law went to investigate was one of the back boards breaking in the middle. We also found that the falling was created by one of the front boards slipping out from under the jack. Lesson learned: use boards that have some kind of divot that helps them stick together or something. It was a freezing day, so there was a tiny sheet of ice on the boards. Thankfully, the jack fell backward, so it was not broken. The spring needed reattaching, but we got it working again after a few minutes. This time, we weren’t working for level, just to take the weight off the tires. We’re not living in it this winter, so we don’t need all of the appliances to work perfectly. After that scare, we just wanted it to be stable and off the tires.
Once she was happy in her spot, we put on her tire covers, took the batteries in the house, dumped some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, and stuck some dryer sheets in the tail pipe (to keep the mice out). She already had the water lines winterized, moth balls and dryer sheets in all compartments, and all of the cabinets open to let the smells permeate the crevices. I think Jeremy will have a hard time smelling mothballs in the future.
Today, we got an email from our landlord that we will be able to stay for 1 extra month. YAY! Now we don’t have to move twice. This means that we will have until April 1 to move out of the townhouse. We both agree that April is the perfect time to start out.
The Girl Next Door still needs to get a little work over the winter, but all in all, she’s ready for April. Now, we need to get rid of our stuff and find ourselves a semi-permanent place to park next Spring, Summer and fall… and maybe Winter… we aren’t sure yet. Have a good day and we’ll see you on the road!